Monday, August 10, 2020

Camp Pants - A Patterning Project

 We are back from our non-Pennsic camping vacation and I have a project I want to try.  

We stayed in-state (NY), choosing to camp at a KOA site where we could rent a cabin for less than a hotel room. The weather was cool at night, down into the low 60's (Fahrenheit), to the point I wished I had fleece pants for that inevitable 3:00 am potty run.  During a visit to the camp store it occurred to me that if I bought a pair of fleece blankets (50" x 60") I had everything else I needed to whip up a pair of pants.  They would look silly, considering the choice of patterns on the blankets, but they would be warm.  I never did make them, but on the last day there, I bought the blankets so I could do them at home.



The photo shows what I had with me to create a pattern and sew the pants.  The white roll is plastic table cloth you cut to size and is mostly used for outdoor parties.  I regularly use it as my pattern paper, but had it with me to cover our picnic table.  The aluminum foil will be used to create a more fitted-to-me crotch line.

I will work on these pants using these items only with the caveat that I'm going to use my sewing machine instead of hand stitching the seams.  I am experiencing issues with my thumb, so I will save wear and tear on it.  This is more an experiment/project to test my patterning skills than my hand sewing.  

And here's hoping I don't need to use that seam ripper.

~ Marjorie



No comments:

Post a Comment