Saturday, January 7, 2017

The Laurels' Prize Tourney

I have decided to do Mistress Cassandra Grey of Lochleven's challenge, "Making Old Garb New" and will redo my lavender court dress.  The reasons are many and I have titled them, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

The Good
 - The embroidery is balanced around the sleeves and the stitching is well done. (It garnered me a Competency ranking in Free Embroidery at a Keeper's of Athena's Thimble paneling.)
 - The seams are hand finished
 - The hem is hand sewn.

The Bad (For a garb apprentice)
 - All seams are machine stitched.
 - Sleeves were cut too narrow causing the dress to be tight across the back.
 - I used A History of Costume, by Carl Kohler as my main source for the style of the dress  He fails as a good source because he does not list his own sources for the info given and he does not state what part of a century the style was in fashion.
 - Grommets were used to reinforce the eyelets.
 - I bought the material at Jo-Ann's, so it is not guaranteed to be 100% linen.
 - The colors chosen were not verified as being period.

The Ugly
 - The construction of the pendulum part of the sleeve causes the lining to bunch at the bottom.
 - It is too short.
 - There are center front and back seams.

My first areas of research have been into materials and colors.  By all rights, I should use a high quality wool for the dress, but finances being what they are, I will probably use linen again, though maybe a heavier weight.  I haven't settled on color yet, however it seems that just about any color will be fine, except for purple.  That is definitely out as Marjorie is not royal.  I'm leaning towards a yellow because 1) it's one of the colors on my Arms, 2) if I'm using linen, it might as well be considered a dress for summer courts and be a summery color, 3) I don't have a yellow dress yet.

On to more research, with an interlude for the Anglespur/Concordian Yule potluck.

~ Marjorie

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to tell us how it turned out when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete