Sunday, October 6, 2019

An overload of projects

I have an abundance of projects spilling out of my sewing basket.  They include two dresses, a cloak, a hood, a knitted shopping bag, a jewelry thing, a scarf, and ... I guess that's it for now.  The good news is that I'm done with one dress!


I'm a 12th-century gal who's going Irish Viking for Bjorn's Ceilidh on Nov. 2nd.  Our barony's A&S night in September was all about cutting out an apron dress.  Many showed up  with material and scissors, some to attempt their first sewing project, most because they were Norse at heart.  Fun was had by all, including the two laurels, one Viking and one 16th-century Englishman, who gleefully swapped linen for wool and told stories for the rest of us.

The material is a medium-weight wool.  I hand-sewed it with Gutermann's silk thread, found at most Joann's.  This is the first garment where I finished the edges first, then whip-stitched the seams together.

The turtle brooches are from Raymond's Quiet Press. 

The Other Projects:
 - The other dress is a linen underdress for the apron dress.  It's cut out.  I want to put a simple hand-sewn trim along the neckline. 
 - The scarf will be the headpiece for this outfit. 
 - The jewelry thing is the string of beads and trinkets to hang from the turtle brooches.  
 - The cloak and hood will be made out of a beautiful gray wool I found at Pennsic.  The cloak will be a full circle.  I'd like to have them done for Crown Tourney, which is the week after Ceilidh.
 - The shopping bag is a mundane thing and will be ignored for the next month.

And this is my SCA life in a nutshell.  Months of nothing, followed with bursts of Things-To-Do, then taking time to recover from those intense, project-filled weeks.

~ Marjorie 

P.S.  I have tried multiple time to increase the font but as you can see, I am not able to reproduce the font-size of previous posts.  My apologies.

P.P.S. Due to the wonders of time-travel via the edit button, this post is now readable!


No comments:

Post a Comment