Monday, October 14, 2019

The Sun Laughs

There is a Greek proverb that goes, "The sun laughs at what the moon has done."  It's from the times of poor artificial lighting available after sunset when it was difficult to see any fine handwork you were attempting.  In other words, don't bother doing anything of the sort after dark, you'll just be ripping it out in the morning.  The sun was having a belly laugh at my efforts this weekend and I basically made a cap twice, with all the seam ripping and resewing I did.

- Two rectangles, hemmed on each side. Check
- Two narrow strips, folded and whip-stitched to make ties. Check
- Whip-stitch together rectangles, right side out, along one short end. Check
- Whip-stitch one long side half way. Check
- Attach ties to bottom of open long side. Check

Voila, cap done!  Until I try it on and find it's way too big top to bottom and front to back.  That was Saturday night.  With that Greek proverb in mind, I went to bed.

The next morning I pinned, measured, calculated, marked, and trimmed the top and back to the proper size.  Hey, those ties were perfect and I wasn't touching them.  At the meeting of our local Athena's Thimble group that afternoon I finished off the cut edges and sewed it back together... only to find I had closed up the front, where the ties were, instead of the back.  Those usually canny Greeks seem to be mum about working while talking with friends.

The cap is properly finished now.  It will be used instead of the scarf for the time being.  I also assembled the necklace from event site tokens, handmade beads (by other's hands, not mine), A&S tokens, and some bought beads to round it out.  What do you think?


This past week I also made a new underdress to go with the outfit.  It needs to be hemmed yet, and perhaps not all the seams will be finished off before Ceilidh.  I will be embroidering the keyhole neckline this week.

~ Marjorie

P.S. The font size issue seems to be a function of which computer I use.  Not using the iMac again for this, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment