Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Lady Ruth's 15th Century Outfit

Work has begun on the dress for Ruth and already I have learned one very useful thing.  While looking at paintings, settling on a design, Ruth made a very profound statement, "We need to start with the chemise and then work out to make sure the necklines match up properly."

Obvious, I know, but not something I'd thought of before.  You have to remember my background.  While I've been sewing clothes since fifth grade, I've only made one item at a time: a shirt, a skirt, a jacket.  None of them required thinking about the undergarments, unless the placement of darts was needed.  The concerns I must consider when creating a multi-layered outfit are new, but I'm glad this one was pointed out before material was cut.

Ruth and I have met two successive Fridays so far.  During the first we decided on the look she wanted, taking into account time period and personal preferences for how the dress fits and is fastened. Second we took down her measurements.  Then we ate and played Carcassonne.  During the week, Ruth realized we could use the pattern she has for a chemise she has already made, with alterations to the neckline.  The next time we met I redrew the yoke and sleeve patterns.  By the time we had cut out the yoke, sleeves and gussets we were ready for a break.  Time to eat and play Carcassonne.

In between those two meetings, we and three other friends took a field trip to West Springfield to scope out Osgood's, a textile warehouse.  Oh, the fabrics they had.  It's not a place for the faint of heart or lean of wallet.  Linen is not cheap, but they had many colors and prints.  Wool.  Some of the wool is to die for, soft and fluffy.  Wool in the full spectrum of colors,  and many, many plaids.  Yardage and fixtures for drapes, Upholstery fabrics, cottons, spandex for swimsuits.  I bought a soft, green wool I'll use for a period dress for cool weather or sites.  It's thick and warm and feels like polar fleece.  Ruth bought material for her outfit, a nice medium blue wool for the outer dress, a burgundy (?) for the kirtle, and something else for the fold-over cuffs on the sleeves.  It'll be smashing together.

~ Marjorie

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Many times I have wished I was no so sensitive to wool, because I love those soft drapey wools, and especially silk wool blends!

    Still, I am always warm, so best I stick to linen, or I will stick to everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your fabric purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see your fabric purchases!

    ReplyDelete