Friday, October 16, 2015

Nalbinding

I've done it.  I've joined the ranks of those who love nalbinding.  Thank you, Mistress Ose!  

She and I and Lady Lorita Di Siena met at my house on Monday the 5th, for a beginning nalbinding lesson.  I'm hooked.  She showed us how to begin the base chain, aka "caterpillar", then the Oslo stitch.  Here is my first attempt:


Sometime afterwards, close to a week later, I tried to start an actual project, a covering for my cell-phone during events.  I started just fine, made my caterpillar, then connected it to start my second row.  It took only a few stitches to realized I'd made the basic blunder of twisting my caterpillar.

Pits.

It took me two more tries to understand that what was intuitively to me the top of the caterpillar was actually the bottom.  Now I'm cooking.  I continued with the one I successfully connected and went around using what I thought was the Oslo stitch.  But it looked different, with a ridge instead of smooth.  Humph.  I put it down until I could research it some more, like by checking Ose's blog (www.osesilverhair.blogspot.com).  She had mentioned to Lorita and I that she had a handout from one of her classes there we could reference.

I didn't get around to doing that until yesterday, just before I showed my niece how to do this cool, medieval/viking craft.  So only a ten days after I first learned the basics, I was teaching them to my first student.

 Jenny making her caterpillar.  She's excited about having something to do while recovering from ankle surgery.

Here's the piece I made while teaching Jenny, with properly made Oslo stitches. 

We were back home last night in time for dance practice.  While there I worked on the cell phone case.  I completed one round of the ridged stitch and then the subsequent with Oslo.  I may add another round of ridges for decoration, as it looks kinda cool.  What do you think?


~ Marjorie

No comments:

Post a Comment