Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Sewing Tip #1

Something I have known for quite a while is that my handspan is 8-inches.  This makes a great way to guesstimate the width or length of furniture while shopping without having to carry a measuring tape.  I had an epiphany yesterday while hand-sewing on my new dress.  Measure my thumbnail and see if it's close to the 1/2-inch I like to use as my seam allowance.

Oh Frabjous Day!  It is exactly 1/2-inch wide.



I no longer have to keep measuring my seam every few stitches.  I just aim the needle to the lower edge of my nail.

There is a trick to this method, though.  You need to make sure the upper edge is aligned with the material in a consistent manner.  Otherwise, your seam is less than perfect.


Perhaps there's actually two tips in this post.

~ Marjorie


No comments:

Post a Comment